Friday, May 15, 2009

Restaurant: Osteria Sanso
Princes Highway
Kanmantoo


Where you say? That's right.. in the middle of basically no where, sits a wonderful Tuscan restaurant. Legendary Adelaide chef Tony Sanso left the big smoke and has bought this old pub which was built in the late 1800s in the former copper mining town of Kanmantoo.
Mum and I and kids arrived for a wonderful Mother's Day lunch. Despite the Maserati and Porche parked outside, the inside was far from pretentious. Wooden floors, crowded and noisy......just what a good Italian restaurant should be. It was very busy that day of course and it was delight to watch the big Italian families greeting each other with the typical air kissing of both cheeks. After a quick field trip to the cellar, we decided on an Italian Chianti (Founterutoli 2006 $59.95). It was a sensational bottle of red, probably enhanced by the Italian feel and language around the restaurant. As I was driving, I could only assist Mum in finishing the bottle. Unfortunately, the wine list did not have any reds but the house red by the glass, making it necessary to buy a whole bottle.
We started with the standard bruchetta ($5.90). Fresh tomato, garlic, olive oil and basil, it was very reasonably priced, but lacked the strong garlic both Mum and I love in our bruchetta (I think that comes from our friend Jean's bruchetta!!)


The specials board listed Udder delights goat cheese curd, olive oil and bread ($13.90) which of course my daughter and I just couldn't resist. It there is goat's curd we MUST eat it! imagine my daughter's delight when they brought a HUGE bowl of the stuff!! Needless to say, she didn't eat a whole lot of her main course!
My daughter ordered the Saleiccie Tartufate Con Porcini - pork sausages Italian style with truffle and porcini mushrooms, served on a bed of polenta and carmelised onion glaze ($14.90e or $22.90m). The entree size was still very substantial, and regardless of the gluttony earlier with the goat's curd, I don't think she would have finished it. I found this dish a bit too salty for my liking, but the polenta cake was absolutely beautiful with the rich gravy!
My Mum ordered LaFiorentina ($27.90) - Char grilled 500g T-bone cooked the Florentine way (specially marinated). A beautiful steak. Tender, and cooked perfectly medium rare as requested. Absolutely NO complaints!I had the Quaglie alla Racola- Chargrilled quails on a seasoned rocket salad ($23.90). I certainly think I win on the best dish at the table. It was sensational! Beautifully spiced, simply presented... just perfect. The bread soaking up all those amazing juices was a great addition. My rocket salad was incredibly fresh... just a perfect plate!
One of the highlights of Osteria Sanso, is that Tony's wife has a very substantial vegetable and herb garden at the back of the restaurant. Our spinach sauteed with extra virgin olive oil garlic and chili ($6) was so fresh and full of flavour! We also ordered the mushrooms sauteed with onion and extra virgin olive oil. Lovely and earthy, a great addition to our meal! It must be mentioned that Tony himself left the kitchen and delivered our side dishes... very nice touch!

For some reason I do not have a photo of my son's meal. He had the Maccheroni al Ragu- tube pasta with a special Tuscan meat sauce ($18.90). They did not have a kid's menu as such, but surprisingly, he ate every last bit of his pasta! The serving sizes were huge, even my quail didn't get finished! A great value for money restaurant, without compromising on taste. We had a wonderful day here, in fact my Mum rang me later that evening and said it was her favourite lunch she has ever had with me!


I love this place, and think its obscure location adds to the appeal. A Bed and Breakfast has been added to the mix, and the day after our lunch, I booked a night there in a month or so! Again, very reasonably priced, B and B for 2 with 3 course dinner and continental breakfast delivered to your room for around $300... can't go wrong!! Occasionally I see this place for sale on the interenet, and it will be a sad sad day when Tony closes his doors. .. get there before that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment