Friday, December 11, 2009

Restaurant: The Hahndorf Inn

Restaurant: The Hahndorf Inn
35 Main Road
Hahndorf, SA
There is nothing better to say good-bye to a diet than German food. Losing those 5 kilos before Christmas, just had to go on hold for a day in Hahndorf!
Hahndorf is quaint historical town in the Adelaide Hills which was settled by Germans in the mid 1800s. "The history of the Hahndorf Inn goes back to 1853 when Gottlob Schuetze established the Australian Arms in a long fachwerk building at No. 46 Main Street. Mr Shuetze transferred his hotel to a single storied stone building over the road and changed the name to the Union Hotel in 1863. For many years, the Union Hotel was the scene of rollicking weddings, parties and musical evenings. Plays and learned lectures ranging from "Ancient Teutonic History" and "How to Make a Home Happy" added to the intellectual life of the conservative rural community. Many years later, when the South Eastern Freeway reached the village in 1972, it became the dining room of the renovated newly named The Hahndorf Inn"

(from: http://www.hahndorfinn.com.au/The_Hahndorf_Inn_Hotel/History.html, Inn).

Whenever in Hahndorf, I always eat at the Hahndorf Inn. I love the atmosphere, and the fact that the owner plays his accordian around the tables. I also appreciate and support the fact that the owner refuses to put pokies in his pub. GREAT DECISION!!! I wouldn't go here however if I didn't enjoy the food as well! Great simple German fare and cold frothy German beer on tap! Heaven!

Kassler Chop with Saurkraut and a pretzel
Most of the time I order kranskys and this visit, I ordered the chilli cheese kranskys with saurkraut, rhine potatoes and a pretzel with assorted mustards ($20.90). Huge amounts of food for around $20. I love cheese kranskys, and these were just wonderful. The saurkraut is really mild, so even those hesitant in the pickled cabbage would be able to stomach it. The assorted mustards used to be served in jars at the table, but now you dish some up on a plate from a side serving table. I liked having the Beerenburg jars brought the table... I am not sure why they changed it, perhaps people were messing up the jars, or even taking them... who knows.
There are 4 (I think) different German beers on tap. I had the lager as per usual. Light, but still 5.1% alcohol. The heavier beers go over 7%. I do not profess to know a whole lot about beer so I will leave my tasting notes to a simple, very cold very good beer!

The meals are simple, great value for money with no bells and whistles. You always know what you are going to get. Lunch has changed to bar service, but I don't actually miss the table service that much. There is a kids room which is great for the little ones, and the location is great for some before and after lunch browsing in the local shops. Just don't expect a "light" meal.... ..

No comments:

Post a Comment