Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Comment: Responsible Foodie?

Sometimes being an adventurous foodie and an animal lover clashes.

There is often that thin line on what is acceptable on our plate and what isn't. At times it can be a struggle, and as someone passionate about our environment, there are times I ponder what my palate craves. I know I could do better.

Having said this, I am also aware of the millions of smaller creatures that die from rice and vegetable cultivation. The trick I suppose is to find a balance. At least it is for me.

There are some things however, I don't believe a "responsible" foodie should even contemplate. Endangered animals for example are finding their way into "underground" restaurants. Whale meat, pillaged from animals killed for "scientific research" surely is a no no. Shark fin soup has been off the hit list for years for foodies.... or so I thought.

Imagine my surprise and disgust to read Adelaide's Sunday Mail, April 18... discussing a soup that needs to be pre-ordered at a restaurant in North Adelaide. $450 a bowl... and no less than a kilo of shark fins! Putting aside the emotional attachment that I have to these spectacular creatures.. how much I want to see them next time I am diving, what disgusts me is how the fins get to our plate... it is waste and cruelty at its best.

For those who unfamiliar with this butchery, the sharks are rid of their fins when brought onto the boats, then thrown back in the sea to sink to their death. Cruel and wasteful.

What shocked me most about the article in the Mail, were the foodies promoting the soup. This included a self-proclaimed "seafood lover" famous chef, and a Masterchef finalist from last year. Shame on you both.

I am sure we all know of other things we should not be eating etc etc... the list is endless, and the conversation and arguments could go on forever, but there are some things that are completely cut and dry a no zone for consumption.

Enjoy, experiment and indulge.... but don't forget balance and respect.

I found a few web sites for those who are unfamiliar in shark finning:




1 comment: